Sunday, September 1, 2013

Labor Day Weekend 2013

Last year over Labor Day we took a day trip through Succor Creek and up to Leslie Gulch. This year as we were on our way home from our last camping trip I asked Jaime what we were going to do for Labor Day, we always like to take at least one day and just go for a day trip. Well he said he wanted to go back to Leslie Gulch and take the canoe. So that was the plan. We headed out about 6:00 a.m. which really isn't that early for me, but it wasn't so easy pulling the kids out of bed. We got to Succor creek campground around 8:00 and needed to take a little break, while we were there the kids spotted a cave they wanted to hike to, so the kids and I hiked up to this cave, well the kids made it to the cave, I went off another direction looking for a cache, but I gave up on the cache because I didn't have a stick with me in case of snakes!! It was a pretty tough hike, but we all enjoyed the little break from riding. 
I swear these to are attracted to water. Here they are checking our Succor Creek

Of course he has to find away across on rocks.

Hiking to the cave.

She made it.

View to the campground from the cave.

The girls, doesn't Brooke look thrilled?

This is the view of the cave from the bottom of the hill. It was a pretty good hike.

We ended up getting to Leslie Gulch around 9:30 and we were pretty disappointed, lets just say there isn't much water up there this year and we didn't even get the canoe off the suburban. We did try fishing, but the little river running through there is not very deep and it is very dirty. So we decided we would take off before it got too hot and go with our plan B which of course is geocaching, only we were taking a different route home so it was nice to have the extra time to explore the area.
This is Leslie Gulch. Last year this was all covered in water.

Another view

Hoping to get a bite!!

Looking for a cache, it is in the rocks behind them!!

Ben found it!!

Found another one.

Cache with a view

Posing in the cave

Trying to be a rock climber!!

Even though the kids all complained about getting up so early and then saying they didn't want to go, they had a fun time, Ben found all the caches, I'm really trying to be nice and let them find them before I do just so they will keep racing me to find them!! We didn't see any snakes which made my day, but we did see a little owl and a golden eagle. I love being able to get out of town and discover all the other beauties that are so close to home. Now time to figure out our next day trip it is starting to get cooler so we can spend more time outside!!

1 comment:

Kathy said...

This was on Saturday, what are you planning for Labor Day? Looks like you had fun, even if Kylee doesn't like to go caching.