I had the opportunity to be a level leader again this year for girls camp. I was asked to be with 4th level again, which meant I would be going on an overnight hike again. Like last year I was kind of nervous for this, but I was also pretty excited because when we are all alone on the mountain the girls really seem to form a good bond. So Monday morning came and shortly after 8:00 am, we were on our way. After arriving at the campground, we quickly picking the spot we wanted to camp at, set up and then got our backpacks all ready to go. At about 12:00 we headed out on our hike, we were making great time and having lots of fun getting to know each other. At about 1:30 we got to the meadow we were going to camp at, but there was one small problem, there was no water. So we stopped for a break and decided we better start looking for a spot with water, well as we were hiking we found small pockets of water, but we didn't find a good spot for all of us to set up camp. So we kept hiking and soon we were almost back to camp (the girls didn't know) and we had to figure out the best place to be, without the girls finding out how close we really were to camp. So we found a nice little spot and set up camp. The spot we ended up at put us at about 1 mile away from camp, so we weren't too far away and little did we know it was a good thing we were that close. Later in the evening while we were working on FHE, our song and our cheer for roll call one of the girls was really not feeling well, so another leader and I headed for camp to find the nurse and we ended up sending that girl back to camp, we think she got a little too much heat. We ended our evening on a fun note, and then decided it was time to call it a night, at about 5:30 am the clouds let loose and it started pouring. We had 2 girls that didn't bring a tent, so they were out under tarps and they were getting very wet. We also had lots of backpacks out in the rain because all the other girls filled the other tents to the max. We sat in our tent hoping the rain would let up, but it never did. Soon the girls that were under the tarps were complaining that they were cold and wet, so we decided we needed to get going. Needless to say we were back to camp by 7:30 am and we had sleeping bags hanging up all over the lodge.
So the day is Tuesday and all the younger girls are starting to arrive, let's just say we pretty much spent the whole day in the lodge as it rained pretty much the whole day. Since it rained all day, the other levels were not able to set up their tents, so they all got to sleep in the lodge, or a smaller cabin, while our wonderful 4th level girls all got to sleep in our tents. Let's just say the temp got to about 33 degrees that night, so we were all pretty cold the next morning, but the morning also brought sunshine and blue skies!!
Wednesday was spent working on certification, hikes and for our level we got to go shoot guns and bows and arrows. I always enjoy seeing these girls do something they normally wouldn't do, especially when they have success and want to do it more often.
Thursday was another beautiful day. The girls participated in camp challenge where they were paired off with other girls and had to perform certain tasks like knot tying, starting fire, first aid, bedrolls, and tripod building, it was so fun to see the girls work hard on this and come out as friends. We also had a visit from the stake presidency and the bishops this evening. It is always fun to see how the girls love talking to these men and how the men interact with the girls.
Friday was the day to pack up and let me tell you, I was ready to go home. After getting everything packed and then having to figure out how to get some girls home, we were able to head out and by 2:15 pm, I was home and very happy to be!!
I think the worst part about coming home was the fact that I was on such a spiritual high and everyone at home seemed very cranky. I'm really trying to hold on to the spirit that I had while at camp, but sadly I can feel it slowly slipping away, I'm so glad I have the opportunity to go to church every week and feel the spirit, but the spirit I had a camp was so much better. Kylee had the opportunity to go to camp this year and I know that she felt the spirit while we were there and I am so happy to see how she is trying to keep that feeling with her as she adjusts back to life in the city!!
So now we are getting back into our home routines, but we are both looking forward to camp again in 2 years.
No comments:
Post a Comment