Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Unity 2011

Summer has finally arrived...well at least the kids are out for summer vacation, the weather is still a little iffy, but I still say it is summer!! Along with summer comes camp season and our family loves to camp. We decided to stay home for Memorial Day weekend this year and get a few things done around the house, but the weekend after that we were headed out. We went up to Unity Friday night and it was really nice, there wasn't hardly anyone up there, so we were able to get the campsite we wanted. Friday night was pretty cold up there, so we were really grateful for the heater in the trailer. We all slept in on Saturday which for our family is a rarity, we never sleep in. I think part of it was that we thought it was really cold outside, so we didn't want to get out of our warm sleeping bags!! Once we got up and realized it was colder in the trailer than it was outside we were ready to get the day started. I had decided I was finally going to go on a big bike ride while we were there, so after breakfast Kylee and I headed out on the bike ride. It was pretty tough and a lot of uphill at first, and I hate to admit it but we pushed our bikes quite a bit going up the hill. Once we finally made it to the top we were pretty excited and ready to go downhill!! However we had a small problem, Kylee's handlebars and wiggled themselves loose and somehow the wires all got twisted so her front brakes were kind of stuck on (does that make sense), in other words they were squealing and not letting her go fast downhill. So after a few stops and trying to fix it, I finally put my thinking cap on and decided I needed to really try and fix them and not just kind of fix them. After twisting the handlebars a couple of times I got the wires all straightened out, but the tire was backwards, luckily I was able to hold the handlebars in place and twist the tire around, which fixed the brake part of the problem. Now we still had the handlebars to worry about, but I had no tools with me to fix them so I kind of told her to do the best she could. After the great job I did of fixing her handlebars, she was able to cruise down the hill faster than I was going!! But part of our plan was to check on our cache that is in that area, and because Kylee was finally going fast, and having fun, she went sailing right by it. As I told her to stop because she had missed the cache I heard a "uh-oh" so I headed down to her, only to see her holding her handlebars with a look of what are we going to do now?? So I fixed them the best I could and we decided to just head back to camp and hopefully Jaime would be able to fix them. She did so good going all the way down with her bad handlebars, I don't think I could have done it. The sad part was that Jaime didn't have the tools to fix her handlebars at camp, so she did a lot of riding with loose handlebars the rest of the weekend.
On our bike ride.

Pushing.

After our bike ride we decided to try and fish, but we aren't very good and creek fishing and we ended up loosing some hooks and giving the fish some free salmon eggs!! But we had fun doing it.
He looks so serious.

The kids.

Then we all decided to go for a bike ride to one of Ben's favorite places and I was a little worried about how Brooke would do, we took away her little 12" bike and are making her ride a 16" bike. I don't know why I worried, she did great, she was just a little bit slower going up the hills, but she kept right up with us and didn't complain at all, she even did everything the older kids were doing, which meant riding through the mud puddles.
Ben

Brooke


The rest of the weekend was just more bike riding, shooting Ben's bow and relaxing. It was so nice to get away where there wasn't a lot of people and just have some fun as a family. We can't wait to go again, however we don't get to go again until after the fourth of July, so hopefully we can have some fun here at home until then!!
The mighty hunter. No birds were harmed!!

Ben practicing.

The kids wanted a big fire Saturday night and I just thought this was a fun pic of Ben.


Smore's of course.


Jaime and I.


On the way home.

3 comments:

Kylee Tolman said...

Just so everyone knows I did not fall asleep on the way home.

Kathy said...

No one would have known if you did, plus it sounds like you had some excitement and handled it very well. Glad you had a good time, I really excited for our campout in July.

Mike and LuAnn (Nelson) Aldred said...

You do such great family things that are fun and make some really great memories for and with your children! What great parents you are. You should be proud and hopefully your kids appreciate all the great things you teach them in the process. High FIVE!