My sister and I both have time off for Christmas so this year we decided to get together and make some candy.Well yesterday was the day we chose as the DAY! My first thought was great I'll come over and watch you make everything and I'll just visit. Little did I know Carolyn had another plan. She had got stuff so the kids could help and enjoy the day too. So we started off by rolling the peanut butter balls so that they could chill for a while before we dipped them in the chocolate. So while I was rolling those, Carolyn whipped up the rice krispy treats and let the kids put them into some Santa molds and into the cupcake pan. The kids thought that was great and finished that small project and went on their way.
Next we decided to hurry and get the cookies done, I had bought 2 tubs of frozen cookie dough and thought this would be a great way to use it plus then I don't eat all the cookies!!!
After we got those done we had to stop for lunch. Now I'm not one that can just whip up lunch, but my sister is all over that and she whipped up some food lickity split.
So now on to the mess of dipping all the candy. We got the chocolate all melted and decided to start with the peanut butter balls, the kids got to help do this, so in your little heads think of 5 little kids around one small bowl of dipping chocolate. They thought it was great, one kid would put the balls in and about three more were dipping them out. It was quite the sight. Now in my house I would be going crazy about now because there is this huge chocolate mess being made and I really hate cleaning up messes, but my sister is all calm and cool and is just enjoying watching the kids make this huge mess. So we finish the peanut butter balls and move on to the pretzels and other candies that we have chosen to do. By the time we are finished with this we have chocolate everywhere and the kids are covered. But my sister just gets out the wipes and other cleaning materials and has it all under control. What a SAINT!!
So after this we decide to let them all go play in the snow because it was a beautiful day. We let all 6 of the kids out and they had a great time of course Brooke got her hands wet right off and didn't like that too much. She did however con Kylee into carrying her to the swing set and then after that she had a great time and didn't want to come in. After about an hour of playing outside we told the kids it was time to frost cookies for Santa so they all come running like a stampede.
Now in my mind I'm thinking great another mess, but not my sister she had it all under control and let the kids have at it. They came up with some real cute ideas for decorating their cookies and rice krispy treats.
My kids had a great day and I really enjoyed being able to finally spend some time with my sister. I think we are now going to have to make it a tradition. Only thing is we can't do it at my house, I'd go CRAZY with all that mess!!!!
2 comments:
I would be just like you if I had kids - I would freak out about the mess, that's for sure. :) I'm glad you guys had fun. I'm sure Carolyn has enjoyed these last few days being able to spend time with family & actually being happy.
Jen, you make me out to be really awesome. Thanks. Whats the point of making candy, especially dipping into chocolate kinda candy, if the kids don't get to help? The mess, who cares? You just have to keep reminding yourself that it cleans. The memories we made were well worth the little mess. My boys had so much fun. They can't wait to do it again.
Yes, I am having the time of my life. I am trying to make up for lost time. Thanks to all and I love you all.
Post a Comment