Well since it has already been 2 weeks since this happened, I figured I better get it down before I forget all of the events. On November 3rd at about 7:15 am we could hear someone upstairs crying, we figured it was Brooke (because she does that still) but still I went up to see what was wrong with her. When I got upstairs I noticed it was coming from Kylee's room (big surprise), so I went in to see what was going on. She was all bent over in pain crying that her stomach hurt. Now she had complained of a stomach ache on Thursday night, but I just kind of pushed it aside, because kids always get stomach aches. Then on Friday at practice she had a hard time breathing while they were running 17's, but when she finally came out she said she was fine, so I didn't think any more of it. Well here we are now, it is Saturday morning and she is all balled up in pain and crying. I finally ask her where it hurts and she points to her right side. Jaime wasted no time at all, he went and got dressed and I told her to get dressed and off they went to the emergency room. I stayed home with Brooke because really why should we take her up there and I knew it would take them a little while to get checked in and do all of the little things they do when you get there. At about 10:20 am mom and Carolyn came and picked up Brooke and I was able to head up to the hospital and guess what...they hadn't done anything with her except give her some morphine and an IV, so I didn't miss anything. Shortly after I arrived Garth Woodruff came up and he and Jaime were able to give Kylee a blessing. At about 11:30 they came and got Kylee to do a ct scan and then we were sent back to wait. Well about an hour later Dr. Spokas came in and basically told us we had to options, they could do surgery and remove her appendix, or we could take her home!! Now he was kidding about the take her home part!! The bad part of having problems on the weekend is they have to call all the people in to do the surgery, so that meant it would be another hour waiting for them all to get there. But while we were waiting the anesthiesteologist (sp) came in and got her going on drugs to put her out. Then just as they came to get her she spiked a fever of 102. I think that is the highest she has ever been. They took her off and we went to the waiting room. The surgery lasted about an hour. When the Dr. came out he told us everything went great, her appendix had caused infection but her body did a great job of keeping it contained to a certain area of the body so we didn't have to worry about more infection or gain green. He never did come out and say that it had ruptured, but it must have done something if the body had kept the infection in a certain area. We had to wait about a half hour before she would be in her new room, so we opted to run home and use the restroom and drop off one of the cars. We got back just as she got to her room and they were getting her moved from one bed to another. She felt so much better and looked a lot better. By that evening she was up walking around and taking laps around the wing that she was in. The hospital brought her in a liquid diet to begin with, but then about an hour later the nurse said she could try and eat regular food which thrilled her because Jerry had brought in a subway sandwich for her. She loved being able to eat again. She had to stay the night because they wanted to keep an eye on her because of the appendix being so bad, but that didn't seem to bother her because she was glued to the tv and all she watched was the Disney channel, she was also given mom's cell phone so she was thrilled to be able to text all night long. The next morning they brought her another liquid diet for breakfast (she wasn't too happy about that) and then the Dr. came in and said she looked good but he wanted her to have some real food before he sent her home, so we had to stay until after lunch. So she picked out her lunch and we just waited, she had to keep walking and it got to the point that the nurses were telling her there was a speed limit in the hall and that she was going too fast!! After lunch we had to wait another hour just to make sure she would be alright, so about 1:30 pm, we finally got to come home. She was so full of energy and looked great when we got home, she didn't have many restrictions, she couldn't lift anything over 20lbs and she couldn't play her trumpet for 2 weeks. But the one that really bugged her was she couldn't scrimmage or run in basketball for 2 weeks, she was allowed to shoot, dribble and walk, but not run or scrimmage. Now this was the longest weekend ever for me.
Kylee went back to school and practice on Wednesday and when I picked her up the first thing she asked me was "doing lay-ups isn't running is it?" It has been a long 2 weeks for all of us, she has really wanted to be playing and has felt good enough to do some jogging, but her coach wouldn't let her do hardly anything. On Thursday the 15th, she had a check-up with the Dr. and guess what, he released her and told her she could play, but she would have to start doing her chores and everything else again. They had a game on Thursday and she was so excited to get to play, she did really good and hasn't hardly missed a beat, she was a little slower than normal, but that is to be expected. She enjoyed being able to practice again and is so happy to be able to do what ever she wants again.
We are so happy to have her back to normal and so thankful that it wasn't any worse than what it was. Now I tried to take some pictures of her at the hospital, but she told me she didn't want me to take any, but she allowed Kim to take some, so hopefully Kim will share them with me.
1 comment:
I am glad that she is back to her normal self. What a fun thing for her to experience, a hospital stay!
Post a Comment