Saturday, April 3, 2010

Soccer Mom or NOT!!

I recently had a friend ask me the question. How do you like being a soccer mom??? That question about threw me over the edge. Soccer mom, me, no way!! I don't drive a mini-van so in my opinion I'm not a soccer mom. However I do shuttle my kids to all of their activities and I'm right there to cheer them on. But I still don't feel old enough to be a soccer mom. I don't know why this phrase bothers me so much, but why can't I just be "the fun mom" or "the super cool treasure hunting mom?"  So enough of my rant of being called a "soccer mom."
The kids have started soccer now and they are really having fun. It is fun to watch all the kids play and to see the difference a few years make.
Kylee's team started out well, they won their first game and Kylee even scored a goal. She is fun to watch, she likes to get right in on the action and go after the ball. She does however have 1 flaw, she doesn't like to stay in her post very well. If they put her in as a guard she will do well, but she gets bored and will leave her post to go up field to try and help score.
Now for Ben, I had to have a conversation with him before he started. He for some reason likes to play goalie, I really don't like the goalie position because I'm always afraid that he is going to get kicked or hit in the face and when that happens he starts crying. So we had a little talk and he told me he didn't want to play goalie this year (I was cheering when he told me that). Well we are at the first game and because his team has so many players he got to sit out the first quarter. So at the start of the second quarter the coach asked who wanted to play goalie and guess what, Ben jumped all over that. My heart sunk, he LIED to me. He did however do very well playing goalie and blocked the shots that came his way, he also has a fairly good drop kick. He did make it to play on the front line at the end of the game and did okay, his mind still wanders a little bit while he is playing, but he still really likes to play.
So for the next month I will be spending 5 nights a week at the soccer fields. So back to the question at hand soccer mom or not??? I'm going to have to say for 1 month out of the year I will be a soccer mom and I will love every minute of it, however I still don't drive a mini-van, so I'm not a full fledged soccer mom!!

1 comment:

hotwheels_mama said...

Jen, I'm officially a soccer mom, complete with the WHITE minivan, lol. But, your a soccer mom all the time, just like I am. Just because it isn't soccer you are taking them to, doesn't mean it's only one month a year. I think of it as an honor, and you deserve this honor more than anyone else. So, hold your head high, because you are a great mom who loves your children with all your heart and makes sure that you are involved in their lives. They are extremely lucky to have a mom like you!